Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Tremor

As strong as the title so was my experience last night. The last nights tremor was awesome. I am a weird guy who enjoys the dangerous things to the core and this was one of such kind.

Let me tell you my first experience of the Tremor in Japan. It was early in the morning around 7.00 or so... Now dont tell me it is not early, I only come out of my bed at around 9.00 on weekdays. The house started shaking and just opened my eyes. I could see the hanging lamp above my head just swaying and the house also shaking. My room mate also got woke due to the erratic movement of the house. He started scolding me "hey why are you jumping around" thinking that I was doing some excercise. The first tremor was a nice experience.

Last night was much more aweful. I hardly wake up in the middle of the night. I am a sound sleeper not that I snore but I usually never get woken up by voices. Last night it was different. All of a sudden I woke up around 3.30 am and saw that the whole house was swaying. I could also hear the other apartment also shaking. That was really frightening. First I thought it was the air and I was imagining things or it was my late night nightmares. Fortuantely or unfortunately I was really experiencing the tremors. The lamp shade which hangs down the ceiling was swaying and to add to this experience the air outside was also blowing hard. It was making all kinds of sound which was good for the bollywood movies.


Today I woke up and saw the papers. The tremors were around 5.2 richter scale and it was awesome experience. The best part is all over the Japan you need not bother much about the tremors. As all the houses have to meet the mandatory Japanese standard of withstanding the tremors of rictor scale of 6-7 .... Which is too high back in India. I think very soon I will get accustomed to tremors and it would be as though it is raining.

1 comment:

Karthik Sankar said...

Must have been a "Tremo'r'ndous" experience

-Karthik